Believe in Yourself!!

Today, I want to say a big thank you to all my author friends and readers who have supported me and my work throughout the last eleven years. Time goes by, successes and failures happen––I would’ve given up on my dreams a long time ago if it weren’t for the many, many people I’ve met online and in person.
Over the last decade, I’ve written countless short stories (in my formative years!), twenty-two novels and two novellas, all of which are either published or contracted –all my wonderful author friends, both sides of the Atlantic, have played a huge part in my success.
Knowing people are out there supporting you in your dreams means everything for a feeling of inner strength and belief. It’s human nature to sometimes doubt what you are thinking or doing is the right thing…or worrying people will laugh or put you down. When you meet people who cheer you on, love and admire your work, and most of all, share your struggles, it gives an incredible sense of excitement and optimism.
Writers are introverts and happy in their own company, which all too often provides far too much surrounding silence allowing that horrible voice in your head to shout loud and clear, “give up!” “You’re not good enough!” “This story is your worst yet!”
My advice to aspiring writers? Fill your head with your stories, not your ‘internal editor’. Keep writing. Never EVER give up and believe in your dreams, ALWAYS! My first novel was published in 2007 and then 2011 brought me an agent, 2012 contracts with Harlequin Superromance and Kensington.
At the end of 2017, I decided to go separate ways with my agent and try going things alone for a while. Instead of feeling worried I’d made the wrong decision, I feel incredibly empowered. I’m living a dream I never thought possible. Am I still occasionally filled with self-doubt? Yes. Am I still a teeny bit scared ongoing success could mean having to stand up in public one day, YES!!! Terrified, would probably be a better description of how I feel about public speaking!
But I’m happy. I’m loving my work, but more than anything, love my writer friends and readers so much. Mix up your social circle, reach out through social media and surround yourself with optimistic, supportive and fun people. You’ll be amazed how quickly you realise your fears are echoed and conquered every day.
Stand tall and know you are no better or worse than others out there. Let yourself grow and shine until you feel as though your star is in reach – because it is!

Rachel x

No comments

Post a Comment