Welcome contemporary romance author, Karen Aldous...







1.)              What is the strangest talent you have?
This question came so unexpected, but it is an interesting one. What would you class as strange. I used to play the trumpet but I’m not sure I could now. My lips are probably out of practice. I’d love to play again though.

2.)              What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever worn?
It has to be a witch. From when my granddaughter was a year old, my son and daughter-in-law have invited us (hubby and me) round for Halloween, insisting of course, we join in the fun and dress up. We rummaged around the wardrobes and found some old clothes. I found an old black dress and cut the hem, found some black lace for a cape. Not looking witchy enough, I bought a pair of bright green tights and a pair of stripy socks, then added pointed boots and of course, the obligatory black pointed hat. Still, not convincing enough, I hunted around the shops, bought and painted my face bright green, added the thick black eye make-up and purple lips, and then had to nip back to the shop for the compulsory witch’s broom. Embarrassing, but I’m pleased to say, my granddaughter loved it - particularly my witchy cackle!

3.)              Are the titles of your books important?
Very, I usually have my own working title which I consider apt for the story, however the publisher will often create a more appealing one to fit in commercially.

4.)              If you’re struggling with a scene or difficult character, what methods help you through it?
I sit down with a notebook and talk to them. I’d ask them questions, prompting and digging, even argue with them until I’ve provoked answers. I’d tickle them if I had to.

5.)              Do you prefer dog, cats or none of the above?
I’m definitely a dog person. Cats look cute but you can’t take them for a walk to the park or across the fields. My walks are an essential part of my writing routine as they energise me and give me thinking time. I’d feel odd without my dog.

6.)              Who’s your favourite author? Why?
Jane Austen. She writes romance with such intelligence and wit. I love Pride and Prejudice, her questioning the norms of the period, that great opening, and writing diverse characters; ie., the humourless Darcy vs Mrs Bennet, Catherine De Bourgh vs Mr Collins. The sisters. It’s a masterpiece of entertainment.

7.)              Do you have a pet peeve?
Hyped up books and films. I was enjoying Gone Girl but then the ending was so disappointing. I suppose I like a happy ending or at least the villain to get her/his comeuppance.

8.)              Do you remember your dreams when you wake up in the morning?
Sometimes but I often wish I’d woken myself and written them down. I find dreams can be such a rich source of writing material.

Blurb: Escape to Tuscany this summer with Karen Aldous’s brilliantly uplifting read. Perfect for fans of Erica James and Cathy Kelly.

A summer she’ll never forget…
When Olivia Montague’s grandmother passes away, she decides it’s finally time to make some changes in her own life. So she breaks up with her ‘going nowhere’ boyfriend and embarks on a journey to her Nonna’s home in Tuscany.
Until now, Olivia has always believed that she’s incapable of love, after being abandoned by her parents as a baby. But with each day spent at the gorgeous villa nestled in the rolling Italian hills, she feels her heart begin to flutter…
And when handsome antiques dealer Hugh St. James arrives on the scene, she realises things might be about to change forever!



About Karen Aldous: Karen Aldous enjoys village life on the edge of the north-downs in Kent with easy access to the buzz of London. Not only does she love the passive pleasures of reading and writing, she also craves the more active pursuits with her family and friends such as walking, cycling and skiing especially when they involve food and wine!

Karen gets much of her inspiration from her travels and if she had to choose, France, Greece, Switzerland, Italy and the USA would be her favourites. However, wherever she goes, she discovers a new character emerges in 'Karen's World'. She likes to write about strong independent women who can direct their own lives - but struggle to control them! And, of course there's always a gorgeous hunk or two!
Giveaway (UK Only) (Please include the giveaway and the giveaway photos somewhere in your posts!)
1st prize: £10 Amazon voucher, eCopy of Under a Tuscan Sky & a signed notebook
2nd & 3rd prize: eCopy of Under a Tuscan Sky & a signed notebook

1 comment

  1. Thanks for being here today, Karen! I've downloaded a copy of your book. Going to be perfect reading for me in Gran Canaria next month! Are you going to the RNA conference?? xo

    ReplyDelete