My Monthly Book Review...



This month's review is of The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.

I don't even know where to begin with my review of this fabulously written, fabulously moving story. Inspired by real-life trailblazing woman Sarah Grimke, The Invention of Wings, is a sweeping tale told between Sarah's point of view and that of her slave girl, Hetty "Handful". When Sarah becomes of age, Sarah is 'gifted' Hetty for her birthday and as much as Sarah fights against owning Hetty, her parents insist.

Thus begins a tale of a reluctant slave-owner and a young slave who dreams of freedom and a world beyond the rich Grimke home. Sue Monk Kidd writes each point of view with beauty, poignancy and heart-wrenching emotion. I was gripped from beginning to end, immersed in the story and the lives of this amazing women. I also spent a lot of time wondering if I would ever write so beautifully or skilfully.

This epic story spans many years and has a cast of characters, in addition to the protagonists, who each touch the reader. My admiration and empathy for each and every character grew with each and every page. A truly, wonderful book that I cannot recommend highly enough.

Superb...

Rachel x

No comments

Post a Comment