My Day At Downton...



I booked tickets to visit Highclere Castle (aka Downton Abbey), back in November so have been looking forward to April 7th rolling around for a LONG time! Weather wise, the day couldn't have been more perfect and the sun shone all day...giving off actual heat. Woohoo!

Me, Mr. B, my youngest daughter and her friend drove the scenic route to Newbury and when we arrived, the castle looked beautiful against a clear blue sky. Excited doesn't even come close to how I was feeling about getting inside and discovering its rooms.

The rooms are a lot smaller than they seem in Downton Abbey and it took me awhile to recognise certain rooms as they are on TV. The castle is really wonderful. The downstairs rooms are very Victorian in their decor, lots of browns and deep reds with deep leather settees and lots of books.

I was pleasantly surprised by the light, airy feel to the many bedrooms and the views from these rooms were fantastic. I only wish photography was allowed inside the castle because, like myself, I can imagine many of you readers easily picturing yourself waking up here. Glorious!

After we'd been around the house, we strolled through the gardens and woodland which was just beautiful. Filled with wild flowers and daffodils, the sun brought everything alive.

It was a truly, wonderful day and one I won't forget for a long while - bring on Downton Abbey Season 6 so I can say over and over, "I've been in that room." "I walked in those gardens." "I've meandered down that staircase." Yep, going to drive my family nuts, lol!

Happy Weekend, everyone!

Love,

Rachel x

No comments

Post a Comment