The Jane Austen Festival - Bath, England...

Every year there is a permanent event in my calendar (along with the RNA conference!) that I will only miss if something happens of such manic proportions that my husband can't deal with it…I know, the list maybe long, but I try ;)

That event is The Jane Austen Festival in Bath which occurs every September and draws fans and devotees from around the globe. This year I took my mum, last year I was thrilled to attend with one of my long-term writer friends, Teri Wilson who happened to be in the UK at the time.

The festival is spread over ten days and hosts such things as the famous Regency Promenade (which is always an annual attempt at beating the World Record for the 'largest gathering of people dressed in Regency costume' - this year Bath indeed beat the record with 550 men, women & children gathered in the Octagon Room of the Assembly Rooms!

There are also various events––a market fair, dancing and talks––held in the Guildhall and visiting authors talking in different locations through the city.

My mum and I had a wonderful day and it was made all the more special by afternoon tea in the Bath Hilton with champagne, finger sandwiches, cakes and white chocolate and raspberry mousse…yum!

Next year the festival will be held Sept 11th-20th - if you're in the area, let me know. I would love to show you around!

Rachel x


No comments

Post a Comment